Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Let it Rain

I got a call last week from Carly's Dr. He said we needed to figure out why a 16 month old is getting UTI's and said that we would need to go into the hospital to check and see if she has vesicouretaral reflux (urine going back from the bladder into the kidneys). So Friday afternoon we went up for the tests. The tests that are done include an ultrasound of the kidneys (to look for hydronephrosis) and another test called a VCUG (voiding cysto-urethrogram) that involves placing a catheter in to the bladder and then injecting a dye. X-rays are then taken to see if the dye moves up towards the kidney. The ultrasound was fine. Carly didn't mind at all....however the 2nd test was bad news and I was about to rip someones head off. They couldn't get a pediatric nurse to do the catheter so this lady that claimed she had been a ped nurse for 15 years did it. It took her about 4 tries and lots of screaming and crying from Carly. Chris and I were both mad. So they filled her bladder and did the test and Carly has reflux. On her right side only. I talked to the Dr. yesterday and he said it's very low grade and that her kidneys look perfect (no swelling) so he called Primary Children's in UT and talked to a urologist. They suggested Carly be on a low grade antibiotic for at least a year and then we go in to repeat the above tests and see if she has grown out of it. I will be praying she does. In the meantime we just watch her and hope there are no breakthrough UTI's while she is on the antibiotics as that can cause damage to kidneys.

After the tests on Friday we went up Scout Mountain to camp with the Family. It was fun. I forgot how much I love camping. Carly did really good. Chris and I didn't sleep well (with Carly between us) and were cold but it was fun and Carly slept and had fun. Here are some pictures from Friday afternoon/evening.



We only stayed overnight, so here is Saturday morning. It was a lot of fun. I'm so glad Chris wasn't working all weekend and could be with us.




1 comment:

Whitney said...

I hope that she grows out of it quick. That totally sucks for her! :(