Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Marley

Once upon a time, 11 years ago...I was 20 years old and on a visit to Idaho I went to the South East Idaho Fair. At the petting zoo I saw lots of puppies....one puppy stood out. He never stopped running, teasing all the other puppies. I had to snatch him up as he ran by to hold him. I loved him, I bought him for $70. I was living in UT with my parents and was a little nervous to take him home. But I did... My Mom was waiting on the porch when we got home ...this puppy, I named Marley went right to her. She picked him up and said "I don't like you". Later, I once found them napping together on the couch. That was my Marley. He was so good and sweet and he loved most everybody. For a couple years he was so wild and naughty. Making me go to court for barking and coming home to chewed furniture. But he grew into an amazing dog. As a single person living alone, he was my Man, my roommate, my protector, my welcome home, he was always ready with kisses, he was my best friend, and he was my baby before I ever had babies. I was never alone and always had someone to do something with. He loved hiking, going for walks, riding in the car, running, swimming, he loved to get the ball but instead of bringing it back he wanted you to chase him.

Marley was my everything for so long... The past couple years Marley has really slowed down...and then this past week he took a turn for the worse. He couldn't walk well and his hips just shook in pain when he did, he cried when pet back there. He would cry trying to adjust positions when laying down. His back legs would collapse on him. I gave him pain medication for days and it didn't help. So on Monday I took him to the Vet. They couldn't do anything for him besides medicate him for the pain and I didn't want him to come home just living on pain medication, he was miserable. So I had him put to sleep. I sat with him when they injected him. He didn't cry when he got stuck with a needle. He let out a big sigh when it started working, and I saw him relax...then he put his head in my lap. I pet him and held him. I told him I was sorry, and that I loved him and he was such a good boy, and soon he was gone.

My heart is still breaking. I will never have another dog like him. I wasn't prepared for the guilt that follows putting a pet to sleep. I miss him and it feels like someone is missing from our family. Turner is lost and I think depressed, he's never known life without our Marley. I know in the end it was for the best, but it sure is hard losing him.

I can see him panting, his happy smiling face in heaven running around. I love you Marley, thanks for being such a good boy. I'm so glad you were mine and that I had 11 years with you.

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Good Boy, Marley.

Lynn Baldwin said...

He did love everybody. I think he learned the same fetching technique as Moe. He was a handsome example of a beautiful breed of dog.

England said...

That good ol'boy Marley....remember when he loved to play with our cat, back in the day? I always thought that was hilarious! Now, he is running wild with Moe, Yankee, and Jasper