Monday, April 8, 2013

fire pit

I've been pinning (on Pinterest) fire pits.  So this weekend I made one.  It was fun...not.  It was hard work and my back still hurts.  Oh yeah, I'm out of shape.

I started marking my spot.

Then I dug up all the grass (it's very heavy to lift sod). I put it all in my compost.  It was full of worms (which I've read is great for compost). 

Then I put down weed barrier.  Carly helped me by finding rocks to hold it down.  She's such a good helper. Then I put a border around. Turner did not help.

Then I shoveled many rocks from my (hope to be) garden area.  Then put down a layer of pavers.

Then it was nap time.  Then we went to home depot and bought 17 more pavers. (it took 9 to make the circle) so now it's 3 high.  I think this week I will go back for 9 more and make it 4 high.  And maybe some cement stuff and re-lay the stones with cement so it's more secure and less gaps.


I love it.  It took me all day on Saturday to make it but it was fun and I'm happy I did it.  I'm not sure when we will burn our first fire.  It's currently snowing...and windy.  Hopefully this weekend.  It's going to be fun to roast marshmallows and hot dogs and make tin foil dinners.  Also, the ash is good for my compost. 
I

1 comment:

Whitney said...

When we come up to visit in a few weeks, we will bring a bag of Starburst to roast (have you done this? It's the most delicious thing in the WORLD!). Katie will love to roast a hotdog and so will I. I'm so excited! Yay!